Sample Blog #4 Career Choice

I chose Superintendent for my final career choice. I have never really considered a position such as Superintendent and I was surprised to see that it was suggested for me. It is a career that I decided that I wanted to learn more about.

Image result for female superintendent


A Superintendent is responsible for hiring and evaluating principals and some staff that work in the school district. As a Superintendent, I would also be in charge of maintaining all of the buildings within the school district. A Superintendent manages all of the district money to be spent and ensures that school resources are used appropriately. Finally, the Superintendent makes sure that the school district is meeting the curriculum standards.

 Some of the skills that a Superintendent would need include the ability to communicate. Superintendents need to be able to communicate with teachers and staff, students, parents and community members. In addition, Superintendents need to be decisive and have good problem solving skills. For example, if there was an emergency at one of the schools, the Superintendent might need to make quick decisions that could impact the safety of students, parents and the community. Being decisive is something that I feel that I would need to work on to get better at because people may not trust a Superintendent who is uncertain about their decisions. Finally, a Superintendent needs to be organized.

According to Career Cruising, you only need a 4 year College or University education level. Most of the Superintendents that I have known have worked as a Principal and sometimes assistant Superintendent before becoming Superintendent. I feel that this experience would be very helpful in preparing to take on the role of Superintendent. If I were to pursue a Superintendent position, I would likely enroll in classes to earn my Educational Leadership degree. I would probably choose to continue my education at Western Illinois since that is close by and I previously attended Western to obtain my Master's in School Counseling. The Educational Leadership Doctoral program is 60 credit hours and would probably take 2-4 years to complete depending on how many classes were taken per semester.

Image result for western illinois university

Comments